Thursday, May 14, 2015

Tales of Vintage: The Satisfaction Of LP

Ah yes vinyl, the holy grail component of music for the past 60+ years is where most of our childhood memories can remember through our moms and pops to grandma and grandpa practice dance in the living room. It is to me of course, a sacred form of entertainment that is lost by the majority, or a matter of fact, all of younger generation with their digital format of endless streaming handheld device that is consider today norms. Well let’s go back about a few years. Maybe around the Sony Walkman time where vinyl are still considered the go to form of music device for listening.

I must say that the vinyl or “LP (Long Play), or 331⁄3 rpm microgroove vinylrecord”, or whatever you want to call it, is timeless. Its beauty is just well preserve that no disc or digital music format can ever surpass it timeless entity. Ok I know that “Disc” or known as “CD” are also a timeless classic and that is still being used today but that is whole other thing to consider. Vinyl is just a timeless capsule of appreciation to have for music lover all around. Anyone that collect Vinyl can appreciate these few stand out feature that today format of music cannot replicate.
Cynic Focus 1993 pic from http://vinylcollective.com/

The artwork is shown in its full capabilities. You will get the sense of the grand scale that the artist had put in full effort into the album.
  • The sense of weight and feel to it. Some vinyl comes with 2 to 3 LP disc or maybe more but the sense of opening the cover sleeve and exploring the record completely is a treat. Especially the collage pics that come with some records
  • Sense of value. Yeah I know this is a weird thing to add but the older they are the better the gems. When I see an old vinyl record with it fair share of wrinkles and small scratches on the covered sleeves, to me it had a sense of history behind it . You don’t know the previous owner but you can get the idea that he or she spent a good amount of time with it. With you finding it, the history continue forward until you pass it along making the value and sense of appreciation higher.
  • Cannot replicate sound. Yep, anybody who had collected vinyls long enough or listened frequently to an LP record can identify it unique sense of sounds. To me the vinyl have a sense of richness, a full sound of triumph, a blood, sweat, and tears effort coming out of the record. You can feel the raw sound coming from the speaker as if you were there with the band during the recording process. Everything feel much louder and alive as of what the band wanted to be. Lets not forget the timeless“hizz” sound that you can first hear when putting the record onto a turntable.
Side note: The vinyl I had here was a truly treasure founding moment for me. I was at the “Antique Mall Of America” located in Las Vegas NV. I was walking around when I found a section containing a variety of vinyl collection. From jazz, funk, pop, to rock and metal. I felt like a kid in a candy store. Let me tell you I was shuffling through the endless proportion of record collection that this store had to offer. My eyes widened with joy of after joy of seeing through my favorite songs that I usually would listen through the radio or you tube, now being presented to me in it non remaster alter form. Meaning its original release date, quality, and value. Believe me I wanted to purchase everything but I keep telling myself that I would be back to this treasure finding section again. I select each vinyl through the spanning of different category and made my purchase with a huge smile on my face.
Below you can see the list of record collection in the picture below

The who- Who’s next
Jeff Beck- Wired
George Benson- Breezin
Van Halen- Women and children first, Van Halen ll, Fair Warning,
Deep Purple- live in Tokyo
Genesis- Invisible Touch
Yes- Yessongs

No comments:

Post a Comment